Display Ad Formats and Creation
Google Display Ads appear on ad slots that website publishers lend Google on their website. Not all display ads are graphic. Text ads allow advertisers to display ads on the display network without the need of graphic design. They are similar in format to search ads and can be served on some ad slots.
There are more than 25 sizes for ad slots on the Google Display Network. Your ads can be shown on 95% of Google’s inventory with these 5 sizes:
- 300×250, the most popular ad size
- 320×100, which will only show on mobile sites
Google will automatically resize ads to fit ad slots of e different sizes with similar proportions.
How to Add an Ad Group
- Display ads can be added to an ad group from the Google Ads Web UI or the Google AdWords editor.
- To upload your image ad, using the Google UI, simply enter the ad group, select “Ads & Extensions”, click on the plus icon to add a new ad, and select upload new Ad.
- On the ad creation page, enter the URL for the landing page that your ad will be sending traffic to and click on the “Choose Files to Upload” button to select your ad’s images on your hard drive. Ad images need to be either GIF, JPG or PNG format and less than 150 KB in size.
Google gives another option. You can create a responsive ads. Responsive ads are automatically built from text and images that you provide. The content is then used to automatically create ads in several sizes. With responsive ads, you can easily create image ads without the need for a designer.
Creating a Responsive Ad from Google UI:
- Enter the ad group and select “Ads & Extensions.”
- Click on the plus icon once again to add a new ad but this time choose “Create a Responsive Ad.”
- You’ll need to add the images that will be used for your ads. Google needs an image in landscape and another in square format in order to adapt your ad for all banner sides. You can upload one image that you crop to meet this requirement or two separate images. You can also upload logos that are dynamically added to the ad.
- Next you’ll need to write the text for your ad which is much like writing text for a regular display or search ad. Enter a short headline, long headline, description, business name and URL.
- By clicking on the more options link, you are given the option to add a call to action which will also be dynamically added. You may or may not choose to use this feature. Either way, your ad text should incorporate a call to action.
These ad elements, both text and image, will appear differently, and some not at all, when displayed in different sizes.It is extremely important to preview how your ads look in each size to understand what portions are being eliminated or cut out.
When you are happy with how your ad looks, click to save it in your ad group.